• Age of Gods Roulette
    Age of Gods Roulette
    Play now
    Practice
  • Bai Shi Slots Online
    Bai Shi Slots
    Play now
    Practice
  • The Flintstones Slots Online
    The Flintstones Slots
    Play now
    Practice
  • Age of Gods: King of Olympus Slots
    Age of Gods: King of Olympus
    Play now
    Practice
  • Caribbean Stud Poker Videopoker
    Caribbean Stud Poker
    Play now
    Practice
  • Spin a Win arcade
    Spin a Win arcade
    Play now
    Practice
  • Lotto Madness Slots
    Lotto Madness
    Play now
    Practice
  • Irish Luck Slots
    Irish Luck
    Play now
    Practice
  • Lucky Blackjack
    Lucky Blackjack
    Play now
  • Premium French Roulette
    Premium French Roulette
    Play now
    Practice
  • Perfect Blackjack
    Perfect Blackjack
    Play now
    Practice
  • Joker Poker video poker
    Joker Poker video poker
    Play now
    Practice

Play Online Baccarat at Casino.com NZ

Although the origins of baccarat are contested, the game was known to have been played as far back as 15th century France. It has since become popular around the world with unique variations available in different countries. When baccarat moved online, its popularity grew further and it has become one of the most popular games at any online casino. With its simple rules and straightforward game play, the random game has attracted a wide range of players.

Baccarat History

The origins of the game are not clear, but it was most likely developed in Italy in the Middle Ages by a gambler named Felix Falguierein. The game spread to France, brought by soldiers during the Franco-Italian war in the 15th century. The game was enjoyed by French nobility for some time before it spread down to the lower classes of society as well. There is some thought that baccarat was derived from the game of blackjack due to similarities between the two.

The French variation of the game is known as Chemin de Fer. When it spread to Europe the rules were adapted and it became known as European baccarat. Baccarat in Europe is now known as Baccarat en Banque, while the American version of the game is known as Punto Banco.

The game was traditionally one that attracted high rollers, but when it moved online with the first online casinos in the mid-1990s it started to gain popularity with all players with all sizes of bankrolls. Online casinos commonly offer mini baccarat – a newer variation of the game with smaller tables. Live casino baccarat games are also popular with casinos such as Casino.com New Zealand that offer live banker games suites. Players can enjoy the casino games for free in the fun mode of the casino or for real money in the real money mode of the casino.

How to Play the Game

The aim of the game of baccarat is to correctly bet on one of three outcomes – the banker winning, the player winning or a tie. You play against the banker only and aim for a hand total of closer to 9 than the banker without going over. Place your bet and all cards will be dealt – two to each player and two to the banker. You need to work out the total value of your hand by adding up the value of the individual cards. Cards 2 through 9 have their face value, Ace is worth 1 and tens and face cards are worth zero. If the hand total is greater than ten, ten is subtracted from the total value to give you a final value. For example, if you hold a 9 and 6 for a total value of 15, you would subtract 10 for a new hand value of 5.

A third card may be dealt in a game of baccarat, but the rules are specific as to when that must happen for both the banker and the player.

  • The player must typically stand on a value of 6 or 7 or higher.
  • The banker stands on a value of 7 or higher.
  • The player receives a third card on a point total of five or lower.
  • The banker is dealt a third card on a point total of 2 or less, as well as:
    • 3, if the player’s third card is 8.
    • 4, if the player’s third card is 0, 1, 8 or 9.
    • 5, if the player’s third card is 0, 1, 2, 3, 8 or 9.
    • 6, if the player’s third card is 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or 9.

Once the player and the banker have completed their hands, they will be compared. A successful bet on the player’s hand will pay out 2:1; a successful bet on the banker’s hand will pay out 2:1 minus the vigorish (commission) and a successful bet on a tie will pay out 9:1.

Game Buttons

Deal: Deal the cards to the player and the banker.

Clear Bets: Remove all bets from the table.

New Game: Begin a new game.

Rebet: Place the same bet as in the previous game.

Game Odds

Baccarat has one of the lowest house edges and best player odds of any card game at an online casino, making it a popular choice. Playing with an 8-deck game the house edge on the banker bet is 1.06% and the house edge on the player bet is 1.24%. However, players must be careful of the tie bet which has a house edge of 14.36%.

It is important to know that odds in the game favour the house; however, not by much. The player bet also has favourable odds. The odds of winning the tie bet, on the other hand, are low and this is a bet that is best avoided. The odds of the player bet winning are 44.62%; the odds of the player bet losing are 45.85% and the odds of a tie are 9.53%. On the other hand, if you are looking for a big payout, you may be tempted by the tie bet which pays out 9:1, compared to the 2:1 payout for the other bets.

Strategies and Tips for Winning

Baccarat is a random game where past hands have no impact on future hands. However, the game has simple rules and straightforward game play, making it easy to apply certain tips and strategies that can help increase your chances of winning, or at least limit your losses. Follow these basic tips when playing:

  • Create a bankroll with limits: It is important to set aside a specific bankroll for playing baccarat. These will be the only funds you can use to play the game and once you have used up your bankroll you must stop playing. This will make it possible for you to come back another day with a fresh bankroll, as opposed to dipping into funds that are not available.
  • Choosing your game: If you have a choice, it is best to play a game with the fewest number of decks possible. Typically, baccarat is played with 1 deck, 6 decks or 8 decks. Playing a game that uses only 1 deck will maximise the player’s return on the banker bet which has a house edge of only 1.01%.
  • Choosing your bet: There are differences in the odds of the different bets in the game. A 1-deck game has a house edge of 1.01% on the banker bet, a house edge of 1.29% on the player bet and a house edge of 15.75% on a tie. Just by avoiding the tie bet you will increase your odds of winning significantly. Keep in mind that a 5% vigorish must also be paid on wins on the banker bet.
  • Claiming bonuses: When playing online you will have access to a wide range of bonuses and promotions. These begin with a new player bonus, but there may be bonuses available for existing players as well. These bonuses can be used to boost your bankroll and keep you playing for longer, providing you with more chances to win. Claim bonuses you are eligible for and use them wisely.

Glossary of Terms

Part of understanding how to play baccarat lies in understanding the terms used in the game.

Banco: Another name for the banker.

Chemin de Fer: The French version of baccarat.

Mini Baccarat: A version of baccarat with a smaller table. This is the version most commonly played at online casinos.

Natural eight: A total of 8 on the first 2 cards.

Natural nine: A total of 9 on the first 2 cards.

Punto: Another name for the player.

Stand-off: A tie.

Vigorish: The commission (most commonly 5%) paid on a winning banker bet.

Opening an Account And Play For Real Money

Once you have practiced playing baccarat in the fun mode of the casino, you will be ready to play for real money. In order to do this you need to open a real money account. Follow these steps:

  1. Register a real money account: In order to register a real money account you will need to fill in the online form. Make sure you fill in all fields with your personal information and contact information. All of your personal information will be kept safe. Choose your currency as New Zealand dollars. Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of the casino.
  2. Fund your account: Go to the cashier section of the casino and choose one of the many payment options available. You will need to follow the specific steps for the payment method you choose. Enter your deposit amount. Confirm the transaction. Your financial information is secured via data encryption technology.
  3. Claim your bonuses: Casino.com New Zealand offers a 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) bonus for new players. You can begin claiming the bonus when you make your first deposit into your new account.
  4. Choose your game: Visit the casino lobby where all of the games are listed. Choose baccarat and you are now ready to play for real money.