Play for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPlay for realPracticePlay for realPractice
If you are looking for a game with a lot of variety, slots may be the answer. Slots are by far the most popular game at any casino with many online casinos offering hundreds of different titles in their game suite. The first games were created in the late 19th century and they have developed and advanced significantly since then. Playing slots online gives you access to a wide range of games, including class slots, video slots, multi-spin slots, progressive slots and more. These games offer multiple ways of winning with bonus symbols, special bonus rounds, free spins, jackpots and mini games. Their sounds, animations and graphics provide a unique and high-quality gaming experience. In some places (particularly Australia and New Zealand), online slots are called online pokies, which strangely enough evolved from the word “poker machine”. These days it refers to any type of slot machine, whether it is poker related or not.
History of Online Slots
The first slot machine can be attributed to Sittman and Pitt who created a game with five spinning drums and 50 playing cards with players aiming to spin up a winning combination to create a paying poker hand. A few years later, Charles Fey produced the first slot machine with 3 drums and symbols. The Liberty Bell grew in popularity and new advanced machines were developed over the years. The symbols on the Liberty Bell were exchanged for fruit symbols and in some places around the world, they became known as fruit machines.
In 1963, the first electromechanical machines were created. These machines features sound effects and no longer needed an assistant to run them. They also included a hopper that allowed for automatic payouts. In the 1970s, the size of the hopper was increased and this allowed for larger payouts and was the beginning of jackpot prizes. The random number generator that ensures fairness and randomness and which is still used today, was also developed. The first video slots were launched in 1975, but they only grew popular from the 1980s.
The next big boost to slots popularity came when online casinos were launched in the mid-1990s. Online casinos are able to offers hundreds of unique games all from one location, providing increased accessibility and options to their players. As technology has continued to improve, the features offered in the games have improved as well. New and improved features and functions are regularly released to create more ways to win and more unique options. There is something for everyone with the many themes, bonuses, features and betting ranges available.
An online casino ensures that each game offers standardised payouts due to its random number generator (RNG). The RNG is regularly audited to ensure fairness and the game odds will be advertised for players to see. A particular slots game may have odds of 98%. This means that over time, the player will win 98% of all bets, or out of every $100, will take home $98.
This is a vast improvement on the mechanical machines of yesteryear which could be manipulated, allowing players to take advantage of the system. The random nature of the games now means that every player has an equal chance of winning. In addition, every time you play, you have the same odds of winning, regardless of whether the machine has recently paid out or not.
With the wide range of features, additional paylines and many available bonuses, players have more chances than ever of hitting a winning combination.
Slots are among the simplest casino games to learn how to play at a casino. While video slots may include bonus rounds that require some player interaction, the basic games can be played with just the click of a button.
To begin a game, players will need to place their bet. Choose the coin denomination you want to bet with and the number of coins you will use. Then simply click on the Spin button and sit back to wait for the reels to come to a stop. There is even an autoplay feature that allows you to set the reels to spin automatically without you needing to be involved. You can set this function for a specified number of spins.
Once the reels come to a stop, you will be paid out according to the paytable for any winning combinations that land on active paylines. The combinations may trigger a bonus feature such as a free spins round or a bonus game and these will play now. Once they have completed, you will be returned to the base game.
If you are playing a progressive jackpot game, you may need to bet with the maximum number of coins in order to be eligible for the progressive jackpot. In some cases, the progressive jackpot is awarded randomly and can be awarded to any player.
Popular Slot Games
Progressive slots are an excellent option if you like playing for big payouts. Linked across several machines, their jackpot amount rises as players pay into the optional progressive side bet and the amount won is the amount showing at the time of winning. These games reach some of the richest payouts available online.
Classic slots are traditional in look and feel, and usually have fewer lines to activate for a simpler game. They still boast extra features such as wilds, scatters and bonus games. Meanwhile, multi-spin games offer you more than one spin for your wager; set your coin level and number of paylines as standard, but receive two or more spins in your games round.
To play the game successfully, you will need to understand the game buttons that are available on the screen.
+ and -: Raise or lower your bet by one coin.
Auto Start / Auto Play: Begin the auto function in the game. You will need to click on the number of spins you want to play automatically.
Bet One: Bet on a single payline. Click on the button to increase the number of paylines you will bet with.
Bet Max: Bet on all of the paylines in the game.
Collect: Transfer your winnings to your account balance.
Paytable: This takes you to the table that lists all winning combinations for the game and their payouts.
Spin: Start the reels spinning.
Strategies and Tips for Winning
Slots are random games, meaning that there are no strategies that will reduce the house edge or improve your odds of winning. However, that does not mean there are not ways to improve your chances of a more favourable outcome.
- Create a Bankroll: Make sure you set aside money that is to be used for slots play. By doing this you will make sure to limit your losses as once your bankroll has been used up, you will stop playing. This also allows you to set a daily amount that will make it possible to come and play again another time.
- Set Naked Pull and Loss Limits: Slots play allows you to set specific limits that will help to limit losses. A naked pull limit is the number of times you will spin the reels without winning. A loss limit is the amount of money you can lose before you stop playing.
- Choosing your Machine: There are many slot machines to choose from at any one casino. When it comes to tips for winning, make sure that when choosing a machine, you choose one that supports your bankroll. Different games have different betting ranges and there are machines to suit every bankroll. Make sure you are able to bet with an amount that will allow you to keep playing for numerous spins to give you more chances to win.
- Playing on Progressives: Some progressive jackpot machines require you to bet with the maximum number of coins in order to be eligible for the jackpot. In other words, even if you hit the winning combination for the progressive jackpot, if you have not bet with the maximum number of coins, you will not win it. Make sure you know how to be eligible for the jackpot and if you need to bet with the maximum number of coins, choose a machine with small enough coin denominations to suit your bankroll.
- Claim Bonuses: Online casinos all offer bonuses and these can be used to boost your bankroll. Claim the bonuses and use them in a way that will allow you to continue playing for longer, giving you more chances to win.
A large part of understanding how slots games work, is in being familiar with the terms that are used to describe the game.
Autoplay: A feature that plays a specified number of spins automatically.
Bet Max: Bet on the maximum number of paylines in a game.
Bonus Feature: A side game that can be triggered by a specific combination of symbols in the base game. It offers the chance to win extra payouts.
Expanding Wild: A symbol that acts as a wild and substitutes for other symbols to create a winning combination. It expands to cover the entire reel.
Fixed Jackpot: A jackpot payout of a fixed value.
Free Spin: A reel spin that does not reduce your bankroll.
Multiplier: A symbol that multiplies a win by a set number of times.
Payline: A line of symbols that can contain winning combinations. A payline must be activated to pay out for winning combinations.
Paytable: A table that lists all possible winning combinations with their payouts.
Progressive Jackpot: A jackpot that grows in value. A percentage of every bet placed in the game contributes to the jackpot.
Reels: The spinning wheel of the slot machine.
Scatter: A symbol that can land anywhere on the reels and can still contribute to a winning combination.
Sticky Wild: A wild symbol that remains stuck in place until a specific requirement is met.
Symbol: An image on the reels that contributes to the winning combinations.
Wild: A symbol that substitutes for other symbols to complete a winning combination.
Opening an Account And Play For Real Money
In order to play at Casino.com New Zealand you must open a real money account and fund it. This can be done quickly and simply.
- Register an account – To open a real money account you will need to fill in your personal and contact details. Choose your currency as New Zealand dollars. Read the Terms and Conditions and open your account.
- Fund your account – Choose one of the many payment methods available for New Zealand players in the cashier section of the casino. Follow the steps for the specific payment method you choose, enter your deposit amount and confirm the transaction.
- Claim your welcome bonus – Casino.com New Zealand offers a 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) bonus for new players.
- Start playing – Choose your game from the lobby of the casino and begin playing for real money.