Long known as a game of elite players and high rollers, baccarat is today a popular online casino game for everybody. It is the card lovers’ delight because it does not involve any skill or strategy. Since it is not played against opponents, it is not as formidable as poker. As long as players have the bankroll, they can just relax playing the game as they do not have to exercise extraordinary mental powers.
The game is also popular for its variants. Modern online casinos offer baccarat variants such as Baccarat Chemin De Fer, Punto Banco, Mini Baccarat, and Baccarat Banque. South African players do not have to search long to find the game as almost every online casino under the sun offers it. They just have to sign up, load their accounts, and start playing.
Since it is a luck-based game with simple rules and a wide range of stake limits, baccarat is one online casino game that nobody misses.
Nobody knows the exact origin of baccarat, but gaming historians say that game could have been invented in Italy during the Medieval Ages by Felix Falguierein. “Baccarat” in Italian means “zero,” and it could have been called so because it gives a value of zero to all ten cards and picture cards. In baccarat, a hand of point value zero is called “baccarat.”
In the 15th century, war broke out between France and Italy, and French soldiers introduced the game in France. However, the game took several centuries to become popular in that country, and by the time it actually captured the interest of French noblemen, baccarat had developed several variants. While Chemin De Fer became very popular among the elite classes in France, Punto Banco gained popularity in England. Later, it was Punto Banco that was taken to the United State of America through South America.
Despite the fact that baccarat had gained reputation as a high rollers game, online casinos developed variants that would attract low rollers as well. As a result, variants such as Mini Baccarat, a game that uses a smaller table although based on standard rules, were born.
The portfolio of online casino games also includes live baccarat, which gives players the chance to play baccarat games that are actually being played at land-based locations from the cozy comforts of their home.
Baccarat is a player friendly game with a low house edge. However, the house edge varies from one variant to the other and from one type of bet to the other. In case of an eight-deck game, the banker bet has a house edge of 1.06% and the player bet has a house edge of 1.24%. The tie bet always has the highest house edge of 14.36%, which makes it the most unpopular bet.
The player bet and the banker bet have the best odds. While players have 44.62% odds of winning the player bet, their odds of losing the same bet are 45.85%. They have only 9.53% odds of winning the tie bet. The best bet is the player bet although the banker bet has a better chance of winning. This is because players have to pay the house a 5% commission if they win their banker bets while the player bet is absolutely commission free.
Although the odds of winning a tie bet are low, it offers the highest payout of 9:1. The banker bet and the player bet have payouts of 2:1 each.
Baccarat is based on simple, easy-to-understand rules and South African players will find it very easy to understand and play this game.
The aim is to create a hand of point value 9 or as close to it as possible. If the player’s hand is closer to nine than the banker’s, the player’s hand and the bets placed on it will win. Baccarat assigns a value of zero to all ten cards and picture cards. While the value of the ace is always one, all numbered cards from deuces to nines are taken at face value. The number ten has no place in baccarat and all tens automatically become zero. For example, two fives become zero while a hand with a nine and a six becomes five.
Before playing baccarat, players have to bet that the player’s hand will win or the banker’s hand will win or the game will result in a tie. Once they have placed their bets, the player and the banker will be dealt two cards each. They can demand a third card, but only under the following circumstances.
The point value of the banker’s card is six and the player’s third card is zero, one, two, three, four, five, eight, or nine.
Once the third card is received, the resulting hands are compared. Winning player bets get paid 2:1 while winning banker bets get 2:1 minus the 5% that goes to the house as commission and winning tie bets get 9:1.
Players will be able to play the game better if they understand the buttons on the game screen. Casino.com South Africa offers a number of free games to help players understand its format, layout, and rules without risking their own money.
New Game: If you have just finished a game and want to play another one at different stakes or same stakes, click on this button.
Stakes: Click on any stake of your choice before beginning to play the game. This is the amount you would like to bet on the game.
Deal: Your cards will be dealt to you as soon as you click on this button.
Clear Bets: All the bets you just placed on the table will be cleared if you click on this button.
Rebet: Hit this option to play a new game at the same stakes as you last did.
Since baccarat is a game of chance, there are no surefire strategies that can bend the odds in players’ favor. But the following tips can definitely help players to win.
Know the Rules – Most beginners fail to realize that each variant is different although it is based on the same rules. Players should therefore spend some time learning the game’s rules before wagering real money on them. A good idea is to play the games for free before wagering real money on them. Fortunately, Casino.com South Africa offer several online baccarat games in the free or practice mode.
Claim Bonuses – Online casinos have a wide range of bonus offers and players should grab them for a chance to play risk-free baccarat. For example, Casino.com offers its new South African players a warm welcome bonus of 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins). This is free casino money that can be used to play risk-free baccarat and win real money.
Bankroll Management – We urge players to manage their bankroll well while playing online casino games. Set aside a small portion of your bankroll for baccarat games and avoid dipping into the rest of your bankroll once you have exhausted this amount. If you win any money, avoid using it all to play more. Instead, withdraw a part of it to your bank account and spend only the remaining part. This is how you can grow your bankroll.
Understand the Odds - You can place only three types of bets in baccarat—the player bet, the banker bet, and the tie bet. Each has its own odds and players should understand this well before placing a bet. The odds vary from one variant to the other. For example, games that use fewer decks have a lower house edge while those that use more decks have a higher house edge.
In case of one-deck games, the player bet has a house edge of 1.29% while the banker bet has a house edge of 1.01% and tie bet has a house edge of 15.75%. Experts say that the tie bet should be avoided altogether because of its high house edge.
Players should also remember that they have to pay 5% commission to the house for every banker bet they win.
Never Chase Losses - Many players make the mistake of continuing to play even when they are consistently losing. They do this in hopes that their losing streak will suddenly convert into a winning streak. Unfortunately, this hardly happens and players end up broke and dejected. Casino.com South Africa doesn’t want this to happen and urges players never to chase their losses and to play responsibly. As soon as players lose a pre-determined sum of money, it is time to quit even if they feel that they are on a winning streak.
Play Free Baccarat Games - Players can play any baccarat game for free at Casino.com. The purpose of playing for free is to learn the rule variants of each game. Playing for free doesn’t fetch any real money prizes, but players are free to switch over to the real money mode whenever they like.
Baccarat has its own glossary, and learning a few game-specific terms will help players understand the game better.
Punto Banco - Another name for baccarat. “Banco” means “banker” and “punto” means “player”.
Chemin De Fer - A baccarat variant that is popular in France.
Mini Baccarat – A variant of online baccarat that is commonly found at all online casinos. Although the game is based on standard baccarat rules, it uses a smaller table and smaller stakes.
Natural Eight or Natural Nine – A hand of point value eight is called “natural eight” and a hand of point value nine is called “natural nine” or “baccarat”.
Banker Bet – A bet placed on the possibility that the banker’s hand will win.
Player Bet – A bet placed on the possibility that the player’s hand will win.
Tie Bet – A bet placed on the possibility that the game will end in a tie.
Stand-off – Tie is also known as stand-off.
Commission – Also known as “vigorish,” it is the percentage of the banker bet winnings paid to the house as commission.
To play baccarat, players have to first open a real play account at Casino.com South Africa. Here are some step-by-step instructions to help new players:
Load Your Account: Casino.com SA offers a wide range of safe and secure banking methods for South African players. To load their accounts, players should visit the cashier and select a banking method.
Grab 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) Welcome Bonus: Once players sign up and load their accounts, they become qualified to accept Casino.com’s 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) welcome bonus.
The next step is to just visit the casino lobby, select a game, and play it for real money.