Play Online Roulette & Claim Your 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) Bonus
Play for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPractice
Dating back to at least the 17th century, roulette has a long and colourful history. There are many variations of the game that have come from around the world and playing roulette online now gives players the opportunity to enjoy a range of these games right from the comfort of their own homes. The rules of the game are simple to learn and the fact that it is a game of luck makes it appeal to all types of players.
Online roulette is fast and fun and is now available 24 hours a day, seven days a week thanks to online casinos. By learning the rules of the game, understanding the odds of the different variations and bets in the game and by familiarising yourself with the terms and game buttons you can enjoy this roulette online game along with many others.
While spinning games were played as far back as the Greco-Roman period, the game of roulette as we know it probably originated from 17th century Italy with a game known as Hoca. This game, together with the 17th century English game of E-O introduced the concept of a spinning table with a ball that lands in a numbered slot. The modern day variation of French roulette was already played in the late 18th century and this was around the same time as American roulette was developed.
Today, there are many more variations of roulette available and this is largely due to the accessibility created by online casinos. Roulette moved online in 1994 when the first online casino was launched and today players can find whole suites of roulette variations to choose from. There are also variations that are unique to online gaming. These online roulette games can be played for free in the fun mode of the casino or for real money in the real money mode of the casino.
How to Play Roulette
Roulette is popular for its fast action, random nature and simple rules. The aim of the game is to correctly bet on the number or group of numbers that the little white ball will come to land on when the spinning roulette wheel comes to rest. To begin the online roulette game, players must place their bets and are able to place bets on more than one outcome.
There are ten bets that can be placed in a standard game of European roulette. These include five inside bets (placed on the inner section of the table) and five outside bets (placed on the outer section of the table).
- Straight bet – A bet on a single specific number. Place the bet in the centre of the number.
- Split bet – A bet on two adjacent numbers on the table. Place the bet on the line connecting the two numbers.
- Row bet – Also known as a street bet, it is a bet on the three numbers in a row on the table. Place the bet at the end of the row.
- Six-line bet – Also known as a double street bet, it is a bet on the six numbers that make up two adjacent rows. Place the bet on the line connecting the two rows.
- Corner bet – A bet on the four numbers that make up a corner of the roulette table. Place the bet in the middle of the four numbers.
- Red or black bet – A bet that the winning number will be red or black. Place the bet on the red diamond or the black diamond.
- Odd or even bet – A bet that the winning number will be odd or even. Place the bet on the section marked “odd” or “even”.
- High or low bet – A bet that the winning number will fall into a group of low numbers (1-18) or a group of high numbers (19-36). Place the bet on the section marked “1-18” or “19-36”.
- Column bet – A bet on the winning number coming from a group of 12 numbers that make up a column on the table. Place the bet at the end of the column.
- Dozen bet – A bet that the winning number will fall into one of three groups of a dozen numbers – 1-12, 13-24 or 25-36. Place the bet on the section marked “1st 12”, “2nd 12” or “3rd 12”.
Start the wheel spinning and wait for the ball to come to rest. You will be paid out for any wins.
Roulette Strategy and Playing Tips
There are many variations of roulette that have come from around the world. In addition, since online casinos were first launched, new variations have been created that are unique to online gaming. Players can now choose from a whole suite of online roulette games. Some of the most popular roulette games include:
- European roulette – A common variation, it has 37 numbered slots – the numbers 1 through 36 and single 0. There are ten bets (five inside and five outside bets) that can be placed.
- American roulette – This variation has 38 numbered slots – the numbers 1 through 36, plus a single zero and a double zero. The double zero was added when the game came to America as a way to increase the house edge. There are 11 bets – six inside bets (which includes the unique five-numbered bet that utilises the double 00) and five outside bets.
- French roulette – The game features 37 numbered slots – the numbers 1 through 36, plus a single zero. There are five inside bets and five outside bets as well as the unique call bets. The game is also unique in that it is labelled entirely in French.
- Mini roulette – A unique game to online casinos, it features 13 numbered slots – the numbers 1 through 12 and a single zero.
- 3D roulette – A unique online casino variation, this game is played in the same way as European roulette, but features a graphically rich, 3D display.
- Premium games – Premium roulette online games are popular and available in a number of variations (including European, American, French, 3D and Pro). They offer a high quality design and atmosphere, as well as single-player and multi-player modes.
There are other, less common variations of the online roulette game that are available. These include:
- Exclusive roulette – Another unique variation to online casinos, this is a live dealer casino game, offering action streamed in real time, as well as a chat option for a real live gaming experience.
- Multi-wheel roulette – Played in a similar way to European roulette, this game includes a racetrack betting section for announce bets and allows you to play up to 6 wheels at one time.
- Club roulette – Designed to be faster, this European roulette-style game includes a racetrack section for betting as well as a special tab containing 34 betting combinations for automatic and fast betting.
- New AR roulette – A new variation this includes unique new betting combinations, offering more ways to win.
It is important to understand the house edge and the odds of the different variations of the game and of the different bets that can be placed. The house edge is affected by the number of slots in the game. For example, European roulette, with 37 numbered slots, has a house edge of 2.7% compared to American roulette with its 38 numbered slots, which has a house edge of 5.26%.
In addition, if you look at the bets that are available in a game, there are different odds for different bets. The higher the odds of you hitting a specific winning bet, the lower the payout and the lower the odds of hitting that winning bet, the higher the payout. For example, the red or black bet, odd or even bet and high or low bet have odds of 1.01:1 and a payout of 1:1, making them even money bets. On the other hand, the straight bet, which is a bet on a specific number, has odds of 36:1 and a payout of 35:1.
- Clear Bets: All bets are cleared from the table.
- Rebet: Place a new bet for a new game of the same value as in your previous game.
- Spin: Start the spin of the wheel.
To better understand the rules of the online roulette game and how to play it is worthwhile to familiarise yourself with some common terms.
- Color bet: Bet on a red or black number.
- Column bet: A bet on the 12 numbers that make up a column. There are 3 columns.
- Corner bet: A bet on the four numbers that are found in the corner of a roulette table.
- Dozen bet:A bet on a group of 12 numbers. There are three dozen bets.
- Even money: A payout of 1:1. This is available for the red/black, high/low and odd/even bets.
- High/Low: A bet on a group of high numbers (19-36) or a group of low numbers (1-18).
- Inside bet: A category of bets where the bet is placed on the inner section of the table.
- Line bet: Also known as a double street bet, it is a bet on a group of 6 numbers in two adjacent rows on the table.
- Odd/even bet: A bet on even numbers or on odd numbers.
- Outside bet: A bet placed on the outer section of the roulette table.
- Racetrack: An additional betting section found in some roulette games, such as French roulette.
- Row bet: Also known as a street bet, it is a bet on the 3 numbers in a row on the table.
- Split bet: A bet on two numbers next to each other on the table.
- Straight bet: A bet on one specific number.
Playing Roulette for Real Money at Casino.com
While playing online casino games for free in the fun mode of the casino is enjoyable, you can’t win real money. For that you will need to register a real money account.
- To begin, create an account by filling in all your personal details and choosing your currency.
- You will then need to fund your account which can be done by visiting the cashier section. There are many secure payment methods to choose from. Follow the instructions for the method you choose and confirm the deposit.
- You can now claim your first deposit bonus. Casino.com offers a 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) Welcome Bonus package.
- Go to the lobby of the casino and choose the online roulette game you want to play from all the variations in the games suite.