Try our Online Video Poker Games to Win Real Money
Play for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPracticePlay for realPractice
Video poker was first created in 1975. Combining two of the most well-known casino games – slots and poker – the game is exciting and popular. Played on a slots-like machine, the game requires players to create the best five card poker hand they can. It combines elements of luck and skill to create a game that is popular with all types of players. With the expansion of online casino play, video poker has grown and developed. There are now dozens of online video poker games that are available to players around the world. Playing online gives you access to this wide selection, all from one convenient location. You can play for free in the fun mode of the casino or for real money in the real money mode of the casino and can enjoy the impressive graphics and sounds available in these online video poker games.
Video Poker History
Video poker machines are based on the 1891 machine developed by Sittman and Pitt in New York. This machine had five drums, each with ten symbols – a deck of cards minus the ten of Spades and Jack of Hearts. The player pulled a long lever to start the drums spinning and the aim was for them to land with the cards creating a poker hand. These machines were later developed into slots machines and video poker as we know it did not become a reality until the late 1970s.
In 1975, Si Redd from Bally Gaming was given permission to take the patent on the video poker game that he developed and he created a company known as SIRCOMA (now known as IGT). Together with Fortune Coin Company, SIRCOMA created the Video Bell Machine. In 1979, Draw Poker was launched, a game which included the hold and draw options that modern video poker is unique for.
Video poker took the industry by storm from the mid-1990s when online casinos were launched, and became one of the most popular types of games available at any online casino. New variations of the game were developed and many online casinos now include whole game suites of video poker online games. These include single-hand games and multi-hand games that allow you to play up to 100 hands in a single game. Popular variations of video poker, available today at online casinos, include Jacks or Better, 10s or Better, Joker Poker, Deuces Wild, Aces and Faces, All American and others.
Many people are attracted to online video poker for the combination of its simple rules, skill requirement ad fast action. You play against the computer with the aim to create the best five-card poker hand possible.
Begin the game by placing your bet, by choosing your coin size and the number of coins to bet with. Click the Deal button to receive five random cards, face up. You will now have the option to hold any, all or none of the cards and to re-deal the remaining cards to create a new five-card hand. This is your final hand and the one that will be ranked.
There are many different variations of online video poker and each will have a slightly different paytable. Games that include a Joker or Deuces will have payouts for hands that include these cards and different variations will have different lowest-ranked and paying hands. In general, online video poker hands rank as follows, from highest to lowest:
- Royal Flush – a series of cards, Ace high, in the same suit
- Straight Flush – a series of cards in the same suit
- Four of a Kind – four cards of the same value
- Full House – three cards of one value and two cards of another value
- Flush – five cards of the same suit
- Straight – a series of five cards in different suits
- Three of a Kind – three cards of one value
- Two Pair – two cards of one value and two cards of another value
- Pair – two cards of one value
You will be paid out only for your highest paying hand. For example, if you hold a full house, you will be paid out for that hand, but not also for a three of a kind and a pair.
In order to play online video poker successfully, it is worthwhile to familiarise yourself with the buttons in the game. To begin the game, these buttons will appear:
- Bet Max: Bet with the maximum number of coins. The cards will be dealt automatically.
- Bet One: Bet with one coin. You can continue to press this button to increase the number of coins you bet with.
- + and + - : Increase or decrease the coin denomination you are betting with.
- Deal: Deal the cards for a new hand or re-deal once you have held the cards you want to hold.
Once the cards have been dealt, these buttons will become available:
- Click to Hold: Found in the centre of each card, this button is clicked to hold that specific card.
- Held: This button will appear in the centre of the card, once the card has already been held. Click on this button in order to release a held card.
If you win, you will have the following buttons available:
- Double: Allowing you to gamble to double your wins, this button will appear once you achieve a ranked hand. You will be required to play a side game by clicking on one of the face-down cards on the screen. If it ranks higher than the face-up card, you will double your winnings.
- Double Half: The same as the double button, this one allows you to gamble to increase your winning payout by half.
- Collect: You can click on this button to add your winnings to your casino account.
Odds in Video Poker
The odds of winning at video poker online varies between games and between hands. Deuces Wild, with its wild twos, offers a high payout for four of a kind, while Joker’s Wild includes an additional payout in the paytable for a five of a kind. In addition, when played with optimal strategy, a game of Deuces Wild can have a house edge of -0.75% (a player advantage), while a game such as Jacks or Better, played with optimal strategy will have a house edge of 0.46%.
When you compare the paytables of two different video poker online games you will find differences as well. For example, Bonus Poker pays out particularly well for four of a kind and Tens or Better pays out for the lowest rank possible in any variation – a pair of tens.
In terms of the different hand ranks, the lower the odds of achieving a hand, the higher the payout. For example, a royal flush may pay out a maximum of 4,000 coins if you play with the maximum number of coins, but the odds of getting that hand are 1 in 665,000. On the other hand, achieving two pairs may only pay out 10 coins, but there are 1 in 21 odds of achieving that hand.
Video Poker Terms and Glossary
Understanding the terms used in a game of video poker is the first step in learning how to play the game.
Bet Max: Bet with the maximum number of coins.
Deuce: A two. This acts as a wild.
Double: The option to gamble to double your money when you achieve a winning hand.
Double Half: The option to gamble to increase your winnings by half when you have achieved a winning hand.
Multi-Hand: A game that allows you to play more than one hand at the same time.
Paytable: A table that displays all winning hands and their payouts.
Progressive Jackpot: A jackpot that increases with each bet placed in the game. It continues to grow until it has been won.
Single-Hand: A game that plays one hand of cards.
Wild: A card that substitutes for other cards to create a winning hand.
Popular Video Poker Games
If you’re finding it difficult to decide which of our Video Poker games to choose, here’s an overview of some of our most popular options:
Deuces Wild: This visually pleasing, traditional Video Poker game uses standard Hold ‘em hand hierarchy to determine a winning hand – with a maximum 4000x coin payout for a Royal Flush. As the name suggests, deuces (or 2’s) are wild and give an extra dimension to your game, helping you to make more winning combinations.
Aces & Faces: With bets starting at just $0.01, the aim of the game is to get the best possible five-card hand. But in an exciting twist, you can make winning combinations that would not usually be recognised in poker, made up of the various Ace and face cards. There is also an optional ‘double your winnings’ bonus game to enjoy.
10’s or Better: This is a popular choice with many players because you can start winning with poker hands that are low on the hand hierarchy scale. Payouts start at a maximum of up to 5x your coin amount for just a pair of tens, with a maximum payout of 4000 coins for a Royal Flush.
How to Play for Real Money
Once you have got the hang of the game in the fun mode of the casino you might like to play for real money to try your hand at winning. Follow these simple steps to begin real money play:
- Fund your account via the cashier section of the casino. There are many payment methods for you to choose from. Follow the steps for the specific method you choose and make a deposit. Your financial information will be protected via data encryption.
- Claim your first deposit bonus.
- Choose your game by visiting the lobby of the casino and going to the online video poker games suite.