Caesars Virginia Casino Delays December Grand Opening by Five Days

Photo by Flickr, CC by 2.0
Key Takeaways
- The grand opening will feature an appearance from Dennis Rodman
- The casino will become Virginia’s fourth full-fledged casino
- There is a temporary casino in the property’s parking lot
Virginia casino-goers are going to have to wait five extra days before they can check out a new gaming facility in Danville.
Caesars announced that its newest property on the south of the Commonwealth, right next to the North Carolina border, will now open on Dec. 17 instead of the Dec. 12 date that had been targeted. The announcement came roughly one month after the original grand opening date was released.
A press release did not explain the reason for the delay but confirmed details about the grand unveiling, including a guest appearance from NBA champion and legend Dennis Rodman.
Building the anticipation
The celebration for the new casino will begin at 10:15 a.m. ET before the doors open at noon.
Attractions will include a show of race cars and supercars thanks to Virginia International Raceway, Kaizen Autosport, and Foreign Cars Italia. The cars will follow a route through the heart of Danville and finish their drive right at the new Caesars properties.
Rodman will be in one of the cars during the procession and will place the ceremonial first bet inside the facility.
Executives from Caesars Entertainment and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, a local partner of the casino, will provide comments on the launch at 11:00 a.m.
Opening day will also include a fireworks and drone show at 8:00 p.m. “lighting the sky above the resort and historic ‘Three Sisters’ smokestacks.”
“We know that there is tremendous excitement for our grand opening, and we appreciate everyone’s patience with this short delay,” Chris Albrecht, Caesars Virginia general manager, said in the release. “The team has been working around the clock to officially open the doors.”
Virginia’s gambling market continues growth
Virginia residents and poser-bys can still use the temporary Danville Casino in the parking lot of the Caesars facility until the day of the grand opening.
The new property, which is roughly an hour and a half from Raleigh, North Carolina, and an hour from Durahm, includes 1,400 slot machines, more than 80 live-dealer table games, and a 320-room resort.
The facility’s campus will also include an entertainment and conference center that may seat up to 2,500 guests for various events. Estimates suggested the facility would cost $750 million to build in full.
The temporary facility has already been a resounding success, according to the Virginia Lottery. Monthly revenue reports suggested the facility generated more than 19 million dollars in June alone, leading to more than $1 million in tax funding for the state.
Danville city manager, Ken Larking, said the temporary facility provided about $20 million in tax funding during its first year of operation, far more than what he expected. The full-fledged facility should offer an upgrade on the already-impressive totals.
If everything goes to plan, Virginia will open another casino in Norfolk next to Harbor Park. The project was greenlighted by the local government and will be allowed to open as long as it is completed before the end of next year.
Grant is an industry news expert who covers legislative news, financial updates, and general industry trends. As a veteran of the gambling industry, Grant has experience in the world of casinos, sports betting, and iGaming. As a former long-distance runner, he knows a thing or two about persistence and consistently holding himself to a high standard.
Related News

CFTC Committee Raises Prediction Market Manipulation Concerns
Prediction market manipulation was a major focus of the CFTC's first Innovation Advisory Committee meeting amid several high-profile incidents.

Australia Passes Tough New Gambling Advertising Restrictions
Australia has passed major gambling reforms that will significantly restrict how betting companies advertise to consumers. The new rules target wagering promotions during live sport, celebrity endorsements, television and radio advertising, and online marketing.

Kalshi-Catalist Sports Partnership Announcement Disappears Hours After Reveal
A multi-year partnership between Kalshi and Catalist Sports was announced Tuesday morning, but the announcement disappeared from Catalist's website just hours later.

Premier League betting shirt ban begins but other gambling deals remain
Premier League clubs have removed betting brands from shirt fronts, but 16 of the 20 sides retain gambling partnerships in other forms today.

QuinnBet agrees £609,104 settlement over AML and safer gambling failures
The Gambling Commission found source-of-funds, deposit-limit and harm-detection failures during its review of QuinnBet’s remote licence.

‘Aim to permit’ repeal could trigger wider Gambling Act reform
Experts warn the planned repeal of ‘aim to permit’ could require primary legislation and invite calls for broader Gambling Act reform.

Holland Park Leisure fined £150,000 over self-exclusion failures
Holland Park Leisure has been fined £150,000 after failing to join a scheme protecting self-excluded customers at local land-based venues.

Bally’s shares fall 26% as doubts grow over US casino projects
Bally’s share price fell by more than a quarter as its debt position fuelled concern about casino developments across three major US cities.

Allwyn UK CEO Andria Vidler Steps Down as Phil Walker Takes Over
Andria Vidler is stepping down after leading Allwyn’s National Lottery transition, with Phil Walker appointed interim CEO from 7 September.

Man Arrested for Stabbing 5 Thunder Valley Casino Workers
Joseph Naugle, 22, was placed in Placer County Jail after he supposedly went on a spree of attacks against workers at Thunder Valley Casino Resort.

Stake, Entain and Dabble Join Race for New Zealand Online Casino Licences
Some of the biggest names in international gambling are reportedly lining up for New Zealand’s new regulated online casino market. Stake, Entain and Dabble are among the operators reported to have submitted expressions of interest, as competition builds for the country’s limited number of online casino licences.

National Lottery Heritage Fund Extends Terms of Two Board Trustees
Mukesh Sharma and James Twining will remain on the National Lottery Heritage Fund Board after receiving four- and six-month term extensions.

Midnite Launches TrueLayer Pay by Bank Deposits and Withdrawals
Midnite’s UK customers can now make instant bank-account deposits and withdrawals through TrueLayer’s mobile-first Pay by Bank service.

Polymarket Preparing to Launch Parlays for US Traders
Polymarket is preparing to roll out parlay-style combination contracts in the US, with the product currently undergoing beta testing.

Florida Attorney General Files Lawsuit Against Sweepstakes Casinos
“If it looks like a casino, takes real money like a casino, and pays out like a casino, it is a casino—and it is illegal under Florida law."

Bally’s Financial Issues Put NY Casino Project in Jeopardy
In a Form 10-Q filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Bally’s said there was “substantial doubt” about its ability to continue operating in its current format.

Fake Crown and Star Casino Apps Target Australian Gamblers
Australian gamblers are being targeted by illegal offshore casinos using fake versions of some of the country's best-known gambling brands. A recently uncovered operation has used names including Crown Melbourne, The Star Sydney and The Lott to make unregulated gambling sites appear legitimate, with players directed to fake app-store pages through social media advertising.

PENN Moving New Orleans Riverboat Casino On-Shore for $195 Million
Current plans for a new property call for 140,000 square feet of development and a wide array of gaming and entertainment options.

South Africa Launches New Gambling Task Force as Crackdown Begins in Limpopo
South Africa's newly established Illegal Gambling Task Team has carried out its first enforcement operations, arresting 13 people and inspecting five suspected illegal gambling sites in Limpopo. The coordinated action signals a tougher national approach to illegal gambling, with similar operations expected to be rolled out across all nine provinces.

Trump Media Scraps Truth Predict Launch, Opts for Crypto.com Marketing Deal
Trump Media is no longer launching Truth Predict on Truth Social, instead opting for a marketing agreement that directs users to Crypto.com.

Yggdrasil Expands South African Reach with Two New Casino Deals
Casino games supplier Yggdrasil has expanded its presence in South Africa after launching its content with Lucky Fish and Bet Set Win. The two new partnerships take Yggdrasil's reach to more than 30 operators in the country as the supplier continues to target growth in the South African regulated gambling market.
.jpg)
Burnham to scrap ‘aim to permit’ rule for betting shops amid closures
Councils will gain greater control over new betting shops and adult gaming centres as part of reforms aimed at revitalising high streets.

Vicky Foxcroft appointed gambling minister following DCMS reshuffle
The Labour MP has previously supported restrictions on gambling advertising, credit card betting and the expansion of high-street venues.

Gambling Commission Warns Poor ID Checks Undermined FRA Pilot
Inaccurate names and addresses prevented some high-spending customers from receiving frictionless financial risk assessments.

Only 20% Of UK Prize Draw Operators Have Signed Voluntary Code
A new Rokker white paper reveals limited uptake of the prize draw voluntary code amid VAT uncertainty and increasing consolidation.

The Greenbrier to Shut Down Casino, Cut Jobs Amid Refinancing Deal
The $500 million framework would wipe out substantial debt obligations owed by The Greenbrier and contribute to future improvements made to the facility.

Alberta Directs iGaming Revenue to Gambling Addiction Help
Alberta is using iGaming revenue to fund new gambling addiction supports, adding to existing programs as the online betting market grows.

Winvia and Aston Villa launch club-branded Villa Win prize draws
Winvia will use its BOTB technology to operate Villa Win, giving Aston Villa supporters access to regular club-themed prize draws and experiences.

Manchester United secures record £20m Betway training kit partnership
Betway will sponsor Manchester United’s men’s and women’s training kits under a multi-year deal reportedly worth around £20m a year from 2026/27.

DraftKings Predictions Preparing to Add Parlay-Style 'Combos'
DraftKings is preparing to introduce "combos," a parlay-style product that would allow prediction market traders to combine multiple outcomes.
.jpg)
LeoVegas Launches In-House Tiger Sportsbook Across Three UK Brands
LeoVegas has introduced its proprietary Tiger sportsbook to the UK through BetMGM, LeoVegas and BetUK following a two-year development programme.

Happy Valley Casino Hires Las Vegas-Experience Manager Following Early Struggles
Peter Longi will be taking the place of general manager Eric Pearson, who was in charge since the casino held its opening ceremony on April 27 and departed in mid-June.

Nevada Problem Gambling Group Cuts Ties With NCPG Over Kalshi Partnership
The Nevada Council on Problem Gambling is severing ties with the national organization over its relationship with prediction market Kalshi.

