Playing casino games has been a common pastime for centuries but it is only in the past two decades that the popularity of playing online casino games has really taken off. With fierce competition in the industry, and technology evolving on a daily basis, online casinos need to offer the highest quality games and great incentives to keep players coming back for more. Software developers are continuously trying to come up with different variations of the favourite games in order to widen the choice available to players. New slot games are constantly launched and are based on incredible themes, while cutting edge technology makes the online gaming experience extremely true to life.
Casino.com offers all the classic games and along with these options, there are also dozens of variations to these casino games online. Online blackjack with a twist, online roulette in 3D and live dealer games are just some of the highlights available.
Casino Games History
Gambling houses were first opened in 17th century Venice to provide entertainment during carnival season; however these only lasted for a hundred years before the government closed them down. Saloons (the original casinos in the US) were popular until the 19th century when gambling was banned. In 1931, they once again opened legally when gambling was made permissible in Nevada. Gambling in South Africa was heavily restricted from 1673 until 1996. In the 1970s casinos started operating in the homelands (Bantustans), but it was not until after the new government came into power that they were legalised in South Africa in 1996. In 1994 online gambling became a reality and suddenly people around the world had access to casino games online. There are a number of online casinos that specifically cater to their South African clientele and offer a wide range of online casino games and player services.
Casino Games Types
With hundreds of online casino games available there is something suitable for all players. Popular game categories include:
- Blackjack: A game of skill with simple rules, blackjack is popular with amateur and professional gamblers. The card game is played against the dealer and players can significantly reduce the house edge by playing with optimal strategy. There are many online variations available, ensuring there are options for all blackjack fans. Popular variations include classic blackjack, blackjack surrender, perfect blackjack, pontoon, lucky blackjack, blackjack switch, 21 duel blackjack and progressive blackjack.
- Slots: Slots are the most popular games at any online casino with their games suites taking up at least half of all games available. Slots are games of luck and with their wide range of themes, graphics and features, they appeal to all types of players. The games accept various betting ranges, making them suitable for all sizes of bankrolls and they appeal to players for the chance to win big off small bets.
- Roulette: An exciting spinning game, roulette is a popular choice. It is a game of luck, but offers a range of game variations to ensure there is something to appeal to all players. Popular roulette variations include European roulette, American roulette, French roulette, premium European roulette, premium American roulette, premium French roulette, premium roulette pro, 3D roulette, mini roulette and 3D roulette premium.
- Live Casino: Live casino games have revolutionised online gaming as they blend the excitement of land-based gaming with the convenience of online gaming. The games make use of webcam technology to stream the dealer in action in real time. Players are able to chat to the dealer and other players at the table to create a live gaming experience. Live casino games include live blackjack, live roulette, live baccarat and live casino hold’em.
- Craps: Craps is a game that was traditionally enjoyed by the upper-class sectors of society; however, now with it available at online casinos it has become accessible to all people around the world. It is a fast-moving dice game which appears confusing at first glance; however once you get the hang of the rules and the different bets that can be placed, it can be enjoyed by all players.
- Video Poker: Video poker blends two of the most popular gambling games to produce an exciting gaming option. The game is a poker-type game played on a slots-like machine. It is fast-moving and combines elements of luck and skill. There are single-hand and multi-hand games available. There are multiple variations of the game including Aces and Faces, Deuces Wild, 2 Ways Royal, Joker Poker, Megajacks, 10s or Better and All American.
Casino Games Tips
When playing online casino games, there are ways that you can limit your losses or even increase your chances of winning. Simply follow these basic tips:
- Play for Free: Playing casino games online allows you to play in the practice mode or fun mode of the casino. This means that you can play for free without spending your bankroll. Doing this will allow you to learn the rules of the game and improve your game play without using up your funds. You can then switch to the Real Money mode whenever you are ready.
- Learn Basic Strategy: Some games involve an element of skill and these allow you to reduce the house edge in the game if you play with basic strategy. Learning basic strategy lets you make good decisions in every situation, thus reducing the house advantage.
- Set limits: Make sure to set limits for your bankroll and your gaming before you begin. This includes setting aside a specific bankroll for playing with and setting loss limits and goals. Make sure that you never spend beyond the bankroll that you set aside for gaming or it could result in erratic play. Set a limit of how many times you are prepared to lose in a row before quitting and set goals of how much you hope to win before you quit. This will help you to preserve your bankroll and allow you to come back to play another day.
- Claim Bonuses: Playing online casino games allows you to claim a range of bonuses, beginning with the Welcome Bonus of the casino. Casino.com South Africa offers a 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) Welcome Bonus for new players to boost your bankroll.
Casino Games Glossary
- Bet: Another word for wager. The player places money on a game outcome.
- Bet Max: The maximum bet that can be placed in the game. Clicking on this button will bet the maximum amount and begin the game automatically.
- Bonus: A type of promotion, the casino awards the player with money when they make a deposit into their account.
- Cashier: The section of the casino that deals with banking.
- Deposit: A transferral of money into your account.
- High Roller: A player that places large wagers or deposits large sums into their account. There are often specific promotions geared towards high rollers.
- Instant Play: Playing the games via your browser prevents the need for downloading the software. It allows you to be up and running much faster.
- Lobby: The section of the casino where the games are available.
- Loyalty Points: Points that are earned by the player for wagering with real money. These can be accumulated and redeemed for cash or bonuses. They also push players up the VIP ladder.
- Mobile: This is the platform of the casino that allows you to play online casino games via your smartphone or tablet device. Games are optimised for play on mobile and the mobile platform offers a selection of popular games from the casino.
- Multi-player: A mode of a game that allows multiple players to play at one time at the same table.
- Paytable: The special table or chart that lists the payouts for specific winning bets.
- Practice Mode: The mode of the casino that allows you to play for free without using your bankroll.
- Progressive Jackpot: A jackpot that grows with a portion of every bet that is placed. These jackpots can be linked to other machines, resulting in life-changing payouts. The jackpot resets to its base amount once it has been won.
- Push: Another term for a tie.
- RNG: The random number generator is a computer programme that ensures a random result for the game. The RNG is regularly audited for fairness by a third-party company.
- Real Money: The mode of the casino in which player place real money bets. This requires deposits into your account.
- VIP: A player who is part of the VIP or loyalty programme of the casino. This programme rewards members with special gifts, bonuses and other benefits.
- Wager: Another word for a bet.
- Withdrawal: The transfer of money out of your casino account.
Open a Real Money Casino.com ZA Casino Account
Opening up a real money account at Casino.com is simple and quick. Follow these steps and you will be playing for real money in no time:
- Registration – You need to register a real money account. This is done by filling in your details on the online form. You must provide personal information and contact information. At this point you can choose to play in South African Rand (ZAR).
- Make a deposit – You will now need to fund your casino account. Go to the cashier section and choose your payment method. You will need to follow the instructions for the specific method you chose, enter your deposit amount and confirm the transaction. Data encryption technology ensures the security of your financial information.
- Claim your bonus – At this point you will be able to claim your Welcome Bonus. This is a 100% up to $400 (plus 200 free spins) Welcome Bonus package available on your first deposits.
- Begin playing – Once you have funded your account you will be ready to begin playing for real money. Visit the lobby and choose from the wide range of online casino games that are available.