Land-based and Casino Resorts Reviews – the facts!
Gambling games have been a form of entertainment since ancient times, and casinos have ‘officially’ been in existence since the 1600s, originating in Venice during carnival season. Originally designed as a way to monitor and regulate gambling games, the idea took off immediately, spreading around Europe and then internationally, reaching the dizzying popularity that casinos enjoy today all over the world.
What is a land-based casino?
A casino is a legalised gambling house that offers a number of casino games that you can play for real money. The land-based bit refers to the fact that they are real casino buildings, as opposed to online casinos. It provides a safe and regulated venue where you can enjoy playing your favourite casino games, but many are restricted to set opening times.
Casinos are based all over the world; they’re so popular, they have grown to become one of the top forms of entertainment on the globe. From England to Australia, France to South Africa, you can find somewhere to play a game. The most notable cities for gaming – and certainly the most famous - are Macau and Las Vegas, with both vying to be top dog in an ever-competitive world, through increasingly glamourous buildings (think the Bellagio vs the Grand Lisboa) and bigger jackpot games.
1. North America
- Casino du Lac-Leamy, Gatineau – Canada
- Casino de Montreal – Canada
- Aseneskak Casino, Manitoba - Canada
- Casino Niagara - Canada
- Planet Hollywood Casino, Las Vegas – U.S.A.
- The Cromwell Casino, Las Vegas – U.S.A.
- Cliff Castle Casino Hotel, Arizona – U.S.A
- The Tropicana Casino, Las Vegas – U.S.A.
- Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino, Texas – U.S.A.
- Emerald Princess Casino, Georgia – U.S.A.
- Choctaw Casino, Oklahoma – U.S.A
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort, North Carolina – U.S.A.
- Seminole Classic Casino, Florida – U.S.A
- Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort, New York – U.S.A.
- Bellagio Casino, Las Vegas – U.S.A.
2. Central America
- The Atlantis Paradise Island (Nassau, Bahamas)
- Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino (Aruba)
- Princess Hotel & Casino (Belize)
- Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Punta Cana (Dominican Republic)
- Terra Nova Hotel - Monte Carlo Gaming (Jamaica)
- Veneto A Wyndham Grand Hotel and Casino (Panama)
- InterContinental San Juan (Puerto Rico)
- Croc’s Hotel and Casino – Costa Rica
3. South America
- Mendoza Park Hyatt Hotel and Regency Casino (Argentina)
- Fiesta Hotel and Casino (Peru)
- Conrad Punta del Este Resort and Casino (Uruguay)
- Rockefeller Casino (Colombia)
- Monticello Grand Casino (Chile)
- Casino Vienna (Austria)
- Grand Casino Brussels Viage (Belgium)
- Ritz Star Casino Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
- Hotel Casino Mulino (Croatia)
- Cratos Premium Hotel Casino Port Spa (Cyprus)
- Grand Hotel Pupp (Czech Republic)
- Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel and Casino Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Casino Helsinki (Finland)
- Hotel Barriere De Lille (France)
- CityPalais Casino Duisburg (Germany)
- Club Hotel Casino Loutraki (Greece)
- Las Vegas Casino Budapest (Hungary)
- Fitzwilliam Casino and Card Club (Ireland)
- Casino Di Venezia Ca’ Vendramin Calergi (Italy)
- Holland Casino Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- Casino Lisboa (Portugal)
- Casino Bucharest Hotel InterContinental (Romania)
- Olympic Casino Carlton - Slovakia
- Casino Barcelona - Spain
- Casino Cosmopol Stockholm - Sweden
- Casino Lugano – Switzerland
- Aspers London – United Kingdom
- The Hippodrome Casino London - UK
- Manchester 235 Casino - UK
- Dusk Till Dawn Poker and Casino Nottingham – UK
- Olympic Casino Sunrise Hilton Hotel (Poland)
- Oracul Casino Hotel Azov City (Russia)
5. Middle East
- Gaborone Sun - Botswana
- Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino - Egypt
- La Palm Royal Beach Hotel and Casino – Ghana
- Hotel Colbert and Casino – Madagascar
- Le Caudan Waterfront Casino – Mauritius
- The Federal Palace Hotel and Casino – Nigeria
- Le Terrou-Bi Hotel and Casino - Senegal
- The GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World – South Africa
- New Africa Hotel and Casino - Tanzania
- Casino La Medina - Tunisia
- Kampala Casino - Uganda
- Lusaka Royale Casino - Zambia
- The Rainbow Towers and Regency Casino - Zimbabwe
- Kololi Casino Complex - Gambia
- Hilton Yaounde Casino – Cameroon
- Grand Hotel Kinshasa – Congo
- Safari Park Hotel & Paradise Casino - Kenya
- Titan King Hotel and Casino - Cambodia
- Wynn Macau Casino – Macau
- Solaire Resort and Casino - Philippines
- Marina Bay Sands - Singapore
- Ballys Colombo – Sri Lanka
- The Star Casino - Australia
- Casino Canberra – Australia
- Lasseters Alice Springs casino – Australia
- SKYCITY Resort and Casino Darwin - Australia
- Crown Melbourne casino - Australia
- Christchurch Casino – New Zealand
What do casinos offer?
Games that you will find in any land-based casino include slots (including progressives), Video Poker, table games (such as Craps and Roulette) and card games (including Blackjack, Baccarat and Casino Hold’em). Slots and video poker have their own area of the floor and are played on an individual basis, while the table and card games are manned by specially trained casino staff and can have several players involved in a game at any time.
As well as casino games, you will often find lots of extras on offer such as restaurants, bars and dancing shows; everything is designed to provide an entertaining experience that also gives you the chance to win real money. As an added incentive, many casinos also offer special comps for players, such as free drinks and food while playing. High Rollers get the star treatment, with extra-generous rewards such as free suites and expensive gifts.
What about playing online?
Online casinos such as Casino.com Australia offer the same exciting games as their land-based counterparts, only in computerised format. They also offer comps in the form of various bonuses – such as reloads, Welcome Bonuses & match ups – and comp points that accumulate as you play and can be swapped for merchandise.
One of the benefits of playing online is that there is no restriction on opening times, so games are available 24 hours a day. In addition, there are no spatial restrictions, so the games are unlimited – meaning there’s always room for you at a table. You can play in the comfort of your own home, without costly travel expenses, and if you’re missing the sociable element, you can try using chat or play live games that use a real dealer via state of the art live stream video technology!